Oski Pasikoniwew Kamik School
Bigstone Community School
At OPK we are a family and education is from the heart. OPK means Opportunity, Pride and Knowledge.
OPK is federally funded by Indian and Northern Affiars Canada and is operated by Bigstone Cree Nation. We are located approximately 350 km north of Edmonton, AB. OPK directly translated is Oski- meaning children, Pasikoniwew- meaning rising up, lifting up or bringing up proud, Kamik- meaning house or place. Oski Pasikoniwew Kamik.
The operation of a school on the Bigstone reserve was first envisioned by five Bigstone Elders who were actively involved with the Director of Education and other key players. The circular design (of the building) is intended to give the feeling of life lived within a cycle. We have four Alberta roses in different stages of development to signify the different stages of our life cycle. The main doors of the school face east where the day begins. Our classrooms feature skylights and many windows to allow for as much natural lighting as possible. Our gymnasium is Olympic size with a canteen attached. We have two stages that open into the gym, one is used as a music room and one serves as our library when they are not being utilized for concerts and presentations.
Programs & Organizations
- Morning Snack and Daily Hot Lunch Program
- SNAP Project (National Crime Prevention Sponsored)
- Cree classes at OPK and Kapaskwatinahk Cultural Educational Centre
- Discipline by Design behavioral program
- June Cultural camp out at Kapaskwatinahk
- Teacher Librarian
- Special Education Coordinator/Teacher
- Music/Drama classes
- Math to the Max Program
- Home School Liaison
- Parent Facilitator Program
- Annual Multicultural Week (February)